Skip to content
Jean Fortin - Syndic autorisé en insolvabilité Jean Fortin - Syndic autorisé en insolvabilité
Estimate your debt percentage
Explore solutions
Meet our consultants

If you stop paying the mortgage on your home, you will be in default of your obligations. The financial institution will then have two choices :

  1. To sell the building under judicial authority: In such a case, you will be responsible for any losses that the Bank may suffer as a result of the sale.
  2. To sell the building by “Prise en paiement” or “Giving in payment” : In such a case, it will erase your debt to the financial institution. This second choice is always more advantageous, because you are released from any obligation to your financial institution.

The intention of the Bank to proceed with either of these options must be indicated in the notice that will delivered by a bailiff and which is entitled “Préavis d’exercice d’un droit hypothécaire” / “Notice of exercise of a right of mortgage.” The notice gives details of the default and gives you sixty (60) days to remedy the situation, failing which, the Bank or mortgage holder may submit an application to the Court in order to avail itself of the option chosen.

Please note, that in either case, due the default of your obligations, your credit rating will be R-9.


Can I solve my financial problems without losing my house or my car ?

Yes! The first step to take when encountering financial difficulties is to prepare a budget.

Read More

Understanding your
Credit Rating

Learn more

Back to Blog

Consumer Choice Award - 3 consecutive years

1 877 777-2433

Toll free,
free consultation

Make an appointment online

© 2018 Jean Fortin & Associés - Licensed trustee in insolvency.